So, here’s the thing. After being told that my bras fit dreadfully by Ewa Michalak (it’s on their facebook page, I wasn’t able to figure out how to link directly to the discussion!), I’ve been seriously freaking out about it. Do my bras actually fit horribly because the wires are in my armpits? Well, here are some of the things I’ve been thinking about it.
1. If my ribcage measures 28″, and the width of the two cups combined is ~14″ (as in my CH Karmelki), the of course the wires are going to wrap around my ribcage.
2. I don’t know if I’m just like wearing bras wrong or something, because apparently some people can wear looser bands, but a 30 literally rides up my back and needs to be adjusted all day. I know some bands sit more slanted than others, but if a band CONSTANTLY moves and needs adjustment… I cannot wear that band.
3. Cups are not graded down with band size. You cannot take the cups from a 36GG and stick them on a 28JJ and then assume that the wires will not wrap around the 28″ girl’s ribcage. That’s just not logical.
4. I’m further cemented in believing that I’m not wearing the wrong size by the fact that other bras in this size do not have this wide-wire problem. My Comexim bra is a 65L, equivalent to 30HH. In it, I would need a 60N, or 28JJ. The band, however, stretches the same amount as my PL Mak, and less than the CH Karmelki. The wires on this are not too wide. Polish girls on Balkonetka (who Ewa says are wearing her bras correctly) are also wearing the same size in Ewa Michalak and Comexim. The difference in fit between my Comexim Carmen and my Ewa Michalak bras is a matter of style of the bra, not a matter of me wearing the wrong size.
5. I’m literally wearing one band size smaller than the calculator suggested me, in a model that has a stretchy band. They said that my cups had to be smaller. Even before alterations I spilled over the top of the bra even with the straps loosened. It’s just another bra that is too shallow and too wide for my breast shape, but in my size you work with what is available to you (since not much is available at all).
I’ve been reading a Polish forum for the last couple of days because I noticed my blog was getting hits from it, and in it they basically talk about how +0 is crazy and how can we not notice that we’re wearing too tight bands and how can we breathe and a whole bunch of other stuff. Apparently, Poland went through a tight band/+0 “phase” and is now back to +2/+4. They agree with Ewa Michalak that our bands are too tight, and it really makes me wonder how they expect my bra to stay on when this 60 band already moves around all day? Also I wonder how they think we could be wearing bands that were uncomfortable for us. Maybe some women do, but I would sacrifice boob security for comfort any day! Also, if I were going to be wearing the wrong size, why the hell would I choose such a hard size to find?!
I feel like these women who are saying that we (or me specifically, in this instance) are wearing the wrong bra size are not taking something into consideration: I got to this size through trial and error. I didn’t follow some calculator, or anything, I just followed my instincts until I found what was comfortable.
I was in an uncomfortable 34DD, and got fitted to a 30FF. During this time I often would wear 32DDD’s because they were easier to find, but this band size rode up and caused my neck and shoulders to ache. As I lost a little weight and my breasts grew, I found that a 30 band was now allowing my shoulders and back to ache, so I went down to a 28 band, and sized up in the cups until I was no longer pillowing out of the top. Did this result in too wide wires in almost all bras? Yes. Would I rather have too wide wires and wire distortion than a too loose band or cups that I’m falling out of the top of? Yes.
So if there are any +2/+4 followers out there who are wondering if I’ve tried wearing a looser band and smaller cups, the answer is yes, and it was painful, which is why I wear the size I wear now.
That’s all I’m going to say for now, just because it’s really late and I should go to sleep, but I have all this ranting in my mind that I needed to get out, and it’s been a while since I’d posted anything 🙂 More posts in the future inspired by “Strapgate” will be coming, including one where I try the size that theoretically should make things work for me – a 65H.